Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Texas Turkey







Made a sales call in western Kansas today then headed south thru the Oklahoma panhandle and into the Texas panhandle. Stopped at Canyon for the night and took a drive out to Palo Duro Canyon for a hike. Naturally I had the camera gear along and happened onto a tom turkey with three hens. They were about 100 yards away on the same trail but coming towards me slowly. I picked a nice secluded spot off the trail and waited. With two other toms clucking away behind me, this foursome was headed right to me to run them off. I was losing light but didn't want to move at all. Wind was in my favor. They advanced fairly close and in fact one of the hens came close enough to almost knock off with a rock. The tom got irritated with me and the other toms when he finally saw me sitting there with one of his hens so close. It was nice to be out of the car and walking but this was a real bonus!






No comments: